Public speaking is an art of delivering a speech in front of an audience. Speaking in front of a group takes a lot of courage and preparation. You need skills to be a good public speaker. Below are 10 characteristics of a good public speaker.
1. Knowledge. It is important that you know what you are talking about. Read, read and read. Being a wide-reader is a great help because you have a better idea of the topic you need to discuss.
2. Preparation. Nothing can replace good planning and preparation. Analyze what you need for your speech, like visual aids. Review your speech. The more prepared you are in your speech, the more likely you will succeed in delivering it.
- Does it teach something new to your audience that they did not know before?
- Does it entertain your audience?
- Does it persuade your audience to practice what you have discussed?
- Does your speech share knowledge that can help people?
4. Language. Learn to use the appropriate words to suit your audience and occasion. Avoid using jargons. Use simple and understandable terms. Refrain from using uhms and ahs. Using these words convey lack of confidence and knowledge of your subject. Instead, pause whenever you need to recall what you need to say.
5. Self-confidence. By no means should you let your audience doubt your ability. You can show your confidence by looking well prepared and delivering your speech well.
6. Enthusiasm. A good speaker can reach out to his audience and exhibit enthusiasm in his work no matter how he feels. He shows vitality in his topics, his choice of words and his gestures.
7. Listening skills. You also need to be a good listener in order to be an effective speaker. There are three type of listening according to their purpose:
- Emphatic listening – you provide emotional support to the person who is talking.
- Comprehensive listening – you gather information to form an accurate conclusion or idea. You focus on details and facts.
- Critical listening – this type of listening is most useful in decision making.
8. Sense of self. This pertains to how you perceive yourself. It is communicated to your audience as confidence, self-assurance and power.
9. Integrity. Your sense of self forms your integrity. People listen to you if you have respect and confidence in conveying your message.
10. Sincerity. A good speaker believes in what he is saying.
The ability to speak in public pays well in every part of your life, whether you are in a small group sharing opinions or delivering a speech in front of an organization.
Do you want MORE out of life? We believe that YOU deserve the best! The best health. The most happiness. And unlimited prosperity too. It’s all possible when you help yourself using our FREE self help public speaking resources and free self help books. You will be amazed at what only a few minutes on our site will do for you. Feel better NOW! We’re waiting for you at http://personal-enterprise-self-help-resources.com
Article reprint requirements:
The self help books & contents are solely the opinion of the author and should not be considered as a form of therapy, advice, direction and/or diagnosis or treatment of any kind: medical, spiritual, mental or other. If expert advice or counseling is needed, services of a competent professional should be sought. The author and the Publisher assume no responsibility or liability and specifically disclaim any warranty, express or implied for any products or services mentioned, or any self help techniques or practices described. The purchaser or reader of this publication assumes responsibility for the use of these self help books & materials and information. Neither the author nor the Publisher assumes any responsibility or liability whatsoever on the behalf of any purchaser or reader of these self help materials.
Free self help books learn Public Speaking techniques in overcoming fear of public seminar speaking anxiety to give public speech with public speaking training course self help seminar on speech writing course for public speaking fear topic free self help training. Get public speaking help on fear public speaking and public speaking tip to find public speaking topic and art public speaking for public speaking training. Free self help books learn Public Speaking self help books techniques in overcoming fear of public seminar speaking anxiety to give public speech with public speaking training course self help seminar on speech writing course for public speaking fear topic free self help training. Get public speaking help book s on fear public speaking and public speaking tip to find public speaking topic and art public speaking for public speaking training
It's time to join our happy subscribers, like these:
"I wish to express my appreciation and gratitude for this powerful tips you send to me.Thank you so much and may God richly bless all the team working towards this.
Thank you for this. It has been most instructive. Please keep them coming!
With no other words, I simply love these Power Tips - thanks for every email I have received from you - I find there always something that cheers my day up or gives me some more inspiration. Good work, there!
I always read your Power Tips and it has helped me a lot in my life... I would like to thank you a lot for such a nice article at regular intervals.
I am really grateful to you for what you have been doing for me and my growth. I know that I am not alone and hundreds of thousands of people would be feeling the same.
Your Newsletter are always a help. Thanks a tonne.
You are doing so much for the whole mankind and as a matter of fact sometimes even a small thought delivered at the right time can do miracles in someone's life and his whole life can take a turn around.
When the positive seeds through your news letter are falling all over the world, then I am sure some would become tree and bear fruits.