If you are marketing to an older audience, don’t discount the value of a website. People over 50 account for more than 50% of discretionary spending in the United States, and they are going online to buy. They have money to spend.
According to recent Pew surveys, the number of online seniors jumped by 47% between 2000 and 2004. There are about 8 million “silver surfers” (22% of Americans) who are age 65 or older using the Internet. About 58% of Americans ages 50 to 64 say they surf the Net.
· To stay current with news and events
· To look up health or medical information
· To research products or services to purchase offline
· To make online shopping purchases
· To research and/or check on stocks or investments
“Wired seniors are often as enthusiastic as younger users in the major activities that define online life such as email and the use of search engines to answer a specific question,” says Susannah Fox, director of research for Pew/Internet. “They are as likely as younger users to go online on a typical day. Communication and information searches attract wired seniors and there has been sharp growth in the number doing key Internet activities such as health searches, e-shopping and online banking.”
As people age, they are more likely to have usability issues. For example, more seniors have myopia, cataracts, fine motor disabilities, and short-term memory decreases. Therefore, if your company is targeting this demographic, it is important to take specific steps to modify your website appropriately. Don’t make it difficult for your senior visitors to find what they need on your website. Here are few guidelines to make your website more older-user friendly:
1. Use larger type, less content: Changes in vision can make is more difficult to read a computer screen. Reduce the amount of text on each webpage and use a medium-sized default font. Provide a way for older viewers to increase the text size. This will make it easier to read for individuals who do not see as well.
2. Make it easy to read: Use a sans-serif font that is not condensed. Avoid novelty and cursive typeface. Double space body text.
3. Design with high contrast. Avoid reversed type and patterned backgrounds. Use dark text on light backgrounds.
4. Keep terminology simple: According to recent studies by Fidelity and AARP, many senior Internet users are not familiar with commonly used Web terms. Things younger Internet users know well are a new language to older users. Avoid web jargon. Examples include: “URL,” “link,” “message board,” “emoticon,” and “IM.”
5. Be very clear: Use action-word links. Because senior users tend to be more cautious in what they do on the Internet, use link terminology that clearly explains what happens when a user clicks on the link. Explain things concisely, but thoroughly.
6. Make links straightforward: Use an obvious method of displaying links such as blue, underlined words. Make these consistent throughout your website. Give users a larger target area to click on to accommodate for users who may have fine motor coordination difficulties such as tremors.
7. Keep your site design simple and stable: If your site caters to seniors and you want to change your site, make changes slowly over time. The more success seniors have with your site and the easier it is for them to use, the more confidence and loyalty they will develop. Keep your navigation toolbar in the same place throughout your website.
8. Test your site: Before launching your site, have older adults try out your website to evaluate its accessibility, readability, and ease of use.
More and more seniors are surfing the online world. The spending habits and income of this demographic makes them a desirable target audience. If your company wants to catch this wave, offer a website that makes it easy for your users. Create a comfortable online environment for your online senior visitors, and your business will reap the rewards.
About the Author:
If you liked this article, be sure to visit Kinetic Ideas,
a marketing blog written by Wendy Maynard, your friendly
marketing maven: http://www.wendy.kinesisinc.com
You can also get more marketing tips by signing up for
Kinesis Quickies, a free bi-monthly e-newsletter:
This Free self help books training tools for MLM Consultants Success site has network marketing articles about MLM consultants success training for direct sales vacancy, direct sales tips for MLM and marketing network selling secrets, free advice about network marketing tools and training for direct sales home party business. Directory of free self help books for MLM consultant direct sales recruiting tips, including direct sales opportunity and network marketing consultant network marketing lead generation size=1>
IS THE TIME TO FIX THE NEXT TEN YEARS
The self help books & small business resources for business entrepreneurs contents are solely the opinion of the author and should not be considered as a form of therapy, advice, direction and/or diagnosis or treatment of any kind: medical, spiritual, mental or other. If expert advice or counseling is needed, services of a competent professional should be sought. The author and the Publisher assume no responsibility or liability and specifically disclaim any warranty, express or implied for any products or services mentioned, or any self help techniques or practices described. The purchaser or reader of this publication assumes responsibility for the use of these self help books & small business resources for business entrepreneurs materials and information. Neither the author nor the Publisher assumes any responsibility or liability whatsoever on the behalf of any purchaser or reader of these self help materials.
The self help books & small business resources free MLM Training tools for MLM Consultant Success site has articles about Opt in MLM Lead for direct sales vacancy, direct sales tips for MLM nutrition supplement and marketing network secret selling and free advice about Opt in MLM Lead network marketing tools and training for direct sales home party business. Directory of network marketing articles for Opt in MLM Lead MLM consultant direct sales recruiting, including direct sales opportunity and network marketing consultant network marketing lead generation self help book resources, along with strategies for networking moms in home based business, Opt in MLM Lead including free multi level marketing success network marketing strategy free self help books & article resources for Opt in MLM Lead MLM opportunity business internet for network marketing leads who want work at home business opportunity. Providing you with easy to find self help books on Opt in MLM Lead MLM home based business network marketing training tools and tips. Network marketing articles Directory about Opt in MLM Lead MLM consultant website, MLM business and Opt in MLM Lead network marketing internet business best network marketing company with free monthly network marketing magazine and also selection of free directory of books on network marketing tools and tips
It's time to join our happy subscribers, like these:
"I wish to express my appreciation and gratitude for this powerful tips you send to me.Thank you so much and may God richly bless all the team working towards this.
Thank you for this. It has been most instructive. Please keep them coming!
With no other words, I simply love these Power Tips - thanks for every email I have received from you - I find there always something that cheers my day up or gives me some more inspiration. Good work, there!
I always read your Power Tips and it has helped me a lot in my life... I would like to thank you a lot for such a nice article at regular intervals.
I am really grateful to you for what you have been doing for me and my growth. I know that I am not alone and hundreds of thousands of people would be feeling the same.
Your Newsletter are always a help. Thanks a tonne.
You are doing so much for the whole mankind and as a matter of fact sometimes even a small thought delivered at the right time can do miracles in someone's life and his whole life can take a turn around.
When the positive seeds through your news letter are falling all over the world, then I am sure some would become tree and bear fruits.