|Back to Back Issues Page|
Your June Power Tips Newsletter
August 21, 2007
Power Tips newsletter, August Issue
Thank you for subscribing to our self help newsletter
One Minute Tip:
The Simplest Workout You’ll Ever Do
One of the best – and easiest – things you can do for your health is breathing exercises.
Lie flat on your back and focus on your breath. Breathe slowly and deeply. Be aware of your abdomen – feeling it softly rise as you inhale and fall as you exhale.
Life is not a static thing. The only people who do not change their minds are incompetents in asylums, and those in cemeteries.
”If I knew I was going to live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you.
Tips for your Happiness:
“Better Relationships: Ten Top Tips”
We all want to get along better with others. Sometimes it just feels so damn awkward with certain people though! Wouldn’t it be great if we knew simple principles that enabled us to experience more satisfying relationships.
The following Top Ten Tips offer you some simple advice that you can begin to apply right now.
1. Remember that however unreasonable someone is acting their behaviour is derived from a positive intention. When you ‘act as if’ all behaviour has a positive intention behind it, through discovering it, your life will become more pleasant. An example: You meet an angry person and you think how childish and silly they are.
But if you were to ask yourself, “what is the positive intention behind this persons angry behaviour?”, you could come up with something useful that allows you to feel more comfortable. For instance people often act angry because behind this they believe it will protect them from harm.
2. When you find yourself feeling uncomfortable in an interaction ‘get some perspective’ by disassociating. In your minds eye see yourself and the other person interacting over there, rather like you would if you were to see a movie of the situation.
3. Step into their shoes. This is one of the most powerful methods for gaining wisdom about your relationships. To begin you imagine communicating with the other person, noticing how they talk, observe their facial expressions and so on. You then ‘step into their shoes’ and see through their eyes and hear through their ears.
So of course you will be looking at yourself! Run through a conversation you’ve had before that could of been better. Notice ’yourself’ and become aware of how seeing things from this other persons perspective gives you knew insights into the relationship. This method is described in more detail in my free mini-course.
4. What assumptions are you making about the other person? Are you willing to challenge those assumptions? Pick one. What is the opposite of that? Eg) Narrow minded/Open minded. Now imagine interacting with the person with this new attitude.
5. Step into the ‘WE’ frame: Think about a person you want to get along with better. Disassociate: Picture both of you interacting in your minds eye. Now allow yourself to find a common purpose between the two of you. Of course if you can’t come up with anything you can always fall back on the fact that you are just two human beings who are trying to experience more happiness.
6. ‘Funify’ your boss (or that irritating colleague): Many people experience difficulties communicating with their boss. It’s often due to being too serious. So here is a simple, quick way to inject the antidote: FUN! Ok, picture your boss or whoever. And then notice their facial features.
What stands out? Is it their nose, their eyes, eye brows, chin? Now you simply exaggerate those features rather like a caricature cartoonist does. Exaggerate and ‘funify’ it in such a way that it makes you laugh or at least feel better towards the relationship.
7. No Failure, Only Feedback (or Learning Experiences.) A really useful way to make beneficial changes is to view everything as a learning experience. So thinking about a relationship you find challenging, notice how you usually respond to the person and then ask yourself, “How else could I respond?” How many different ways could you respond in your interactions? Come up with at least 3 possibilities. This enables your mind to generate more flexibility of behaviour.
8. Often when we experience difficulties in our relationships it is due to focusing on faults. This distorts our perception of the overall relationship, which is really a mixture of good and bad qualities. To re-focus our attention on the bigger picture begin to remember qualities you admire in the other person.
Come up with three, picture them, increase the size of the images and place them around an image of the ‘faulty’ qualities of the person. And remember positive intention, take a look at Tip 1 again!
9. What would be the consequence of staying stuck in the same relationship dynamic with a particular person, say 25 years from now?! The fact is if you want to experience better relationships YOU are going to have to change your viewpoints or attitude.
It’s OK, this can be fairly simple. Imagine stepping into the future 25 years from now and look back at that relationship and notice that it has remained in the same stuck pattern year after year for 25 years! Looking at it like this, acting as if it could really happen, allow your feelings to arise that make you say, “enough is enough I MUST change!”
10. Think of someone you would like to get along with better. Choose someone of medium level “problematic-ness” and then read the follow questions slowly: Isn’t it true that all of the problems that we experience when relating to others is due to OUR feelings? What if we were to change our feelings? This could make things easier didn’t it?
If you want to experience more satisfying relationships you are going to have to gain some new perspectives. Applying one or more of the methods above will help you achieve this more easily!
Colin G Smith is a licensed Master Practitioner of Neuro- Linguistic Programming (NLP) and author of ‘The NLP ToolBox’, a personal development book that enables the reader to master any area of their life with amazing speed. Complete information on Colin G Smith’s books are available at his website, including a FREE personal development mini- course. http://www.NLPToolBox.com
Tips for your Health:
Remember What You Can In Quick and Easy Steps
You might have heard of Mnemonics and how they can help you improve your memory.
Mnemonics aren’t difficult or tiresome activities; in fact, it’s as if there’s no pressure when doing the actual memorization because of how simple and pleasant the steps can be. An example of a mnemonic method is the Loci System.
A good scenario when the loci system can be effectively used is when a person has several items or a list needed for immediate remembering. The first important thing to remember when using the loci method is the familiarization of a place and the correct order of locations of the chosen place.
It could be the dining room, bedroom or kitchen at home or a favorite route in the park. It doesn’t matter where, as long as the location can be easily recalled accurately by the doer.
Let’s say, the specific locations are the parking lot, pond, willow tree and the benches in the park. So, let’s pretend the items are umbrella, dog food, cell phone and picnic basket. To associate the items, visualize strongly hundreds of open umbrellas falling down on the parking lot as you find a space where you could park.
Next, as you pass by the pond, you pick up the usual dog food to feed the fish followed by the big willow tree bearing cell phones for fruits and lastly, as you sat by the benches, a picnic basket approaches and sells you what is inside it. Each time you visit the park or any other place you’re strongly familiar with; you can immediately associate the specific locations with any items you need to remember.
When using this method, it’s better to imagine objects in familiar places in bizarre or amusing ways because it helps a lot in retaining information.
Visit the link below to learn more about the Loci System and other memory improvement techniques:
Spouses get more alike
If your husband or wife becomes ill, better see your doctor. Studies published in the British Medical Journal show that if one partner is ill, depressed, or has an ulcer, the other is twice as likely to have the same problem as one with a healthy spouse.
Couples frequently have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and asthma. They are exposed to the same diets and allergens.
But ulcers, for example, are caused by a bacterium that is not contagious. In some cases, there is no explanation.
Tips for your Prosperity:
ESTABLISH A GOAL
What do you want? Are you looking for financial security, professional acknowledgment, spiritual attainment? Do you want to fit better socially, or become more expressive creatively? Establish the goal that’s right for you.
Then turn that goal from a dream into a desire. You want to realize that goal, not just wish for it. Aesop said, “Beware that you do not lose the substance by grabbing at the shadow.” Know exactly what you want, then go for it.
Don’t be tricked by your own procrastination – especially if you want to achieve something artistic. The writer Thomas Wolfe wrote, “I had been sustained by that delightful illusion of success which we all have when we dream about the books we are going to write instead of actually doing them.
Now I was face to face with it, and suddenly I realized that I had committed my life and my integrity so irrevocably to this struggle that I must conquer now or be destroyed.”
Can you see what you want? If you want the abundance of material wealth that money provides, what goal will give you that money? Do you want the prestige of owning your own business? What business do you want to begin?
Where are the opportunities for you? Talk to everyone in the business you want to join. Make friends in the literary or art societies in your area. Read books and articles about your field of endeavor. How can you attain your goal?
“If you don’t want to work, you have to work to earn enough money so that you don’t have to work,” wrote Ogden Nash. And isn’t that the way” Money makes money; success breeds success. But not always. How can you break through those thoughts to help yourself to the rewards?
Henry David Thoreau wrote, “I have learned this at least by my experiment: that if you advance confidently in the direction of your dreams, and endeavor to live the life which you imagine, you will meet with success.”
Think big and visualize success. Do you see yourself in a big house? Maybe you picture your artwork hanging in a gallery. Can you feel your book in print and in your hands? How does it feel to be a person of success? Believe that you are; believe that it is in your grasp. That’s what the others did, and that’s how people make it to the top.
Then get down to basics. Be precise. Exactly how much money do you want, and by what date? And exactly what are you going to do to earn that money? Be realistic, but give yourself short-term goals.
Write it down. In six months or one year, you will have how much money. And repeat it until it feels good. Then repeat it twice a day until it swirls in your subconscious, until it becomes your one-pointed goal.
Have you crafted your elevator speech?
It’s a tool used by entrepreneurs to pitch start-ups when they run into a venture capitalist: the 15-second speech.
The phenomenon in the corporate world is now called the “elevator speech.” Self-help promoters say people who want to stand out should have a 15-second self-promo at hand, just in case they find themselves face-to-face with the boss.
The speeches work in elevators, at networking events, and with people and companies pitching ideas or products. (Even single people are coming up with a quick catchy introduction, according to Business Week.)
Corporate trainers report a surge in interest. They advise people to hit hard on the value of what they do. Business Week’s example: “Hi, I’m Claude Monet of software. My masterpieces are written with zeros and ones.” After the speech, the speakers actually introduce themselves.
45 PROFESSIONAL TIPS TO CUT BIG GASOLINE BILLS….:
1. Before getting into your car, ask yourself “Is this trip necessary?”!
Our Sponsors and Affiliates are what keep this newsletter and our website self help books, articles and resources free to you, so we appreciate your support when purchasing from our sponsors.
Memory Improvement Techniques – Remember hundreds of names and recall them months after learning them. Recall complex directions step by step. Cut study time by 50% or more. Remember the facts from everything you read or hear.
FREE! Powerful Daily Motivation
EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) was originally designed to reduce the psychotherapy process from months and years down to minutes and hours.
From there it was discovered that astonishing physical healings also occurred. Symptoms faded for everything from Migraine Headaches to Cancer.
Complete details are given on the EFT website at www.emofree.com It often works where nothing else will.
Editors notes: color=red> size=4>
WHY GOD MADE MOMS:
BRILLIANT! These are answers given by 2nd grade school children to the following questions!!
What’s the difference between moms & dads?
1. Moms work at work and work at home & dads just go to work at work.
2. Moms know how to talk to teachers without scaring them.
3. Dads are taller & stronger, but moms have all the real power ’cause that’s who you got to ask if you want to sleep over at your friend’s.
4. Moms have magic, they make you feel better without medicine.
What does your mom do in her spare time?
1. Mothers don’t do spare time.
2. To hear her tell it, she pays bills all day long.
What would it take to make your mom perfect?
1. On the inside she’s already perfect. Outside, I think some kind of plastic surgery.
2. Diet. You know her hair. I’d diet, maybe blue.
If you could change one thing about your Mom, what would it be?
1. She has this weird thing about me keeping my room clean. I’d get rid of that.
2. I’d make my Mom smarter. Then she would know it was my sister who did it and not me.
3. I would like for her to get rid of those invisible eyes on the back of her head.
Just go to: free self help books download page
Get your free ebook downloads here –size=4 color=red> Just “right mouse button click” on the links below, then select “save target as” from the window that appears, to download the book to your desktop.
How to Play Checkers – free kids books download
Book of Magic Card Tricks – free kids books download
Meeting the needs of Gifted Children free books download
Animal Alphabet A to Z picture reader
Thank you for joining us this month, I hope that you have found some extra motivation and inspiration on HOW TO LOVE YOUR LIFE!
To update yourself on our new resources and self help strategies just go to
our free self help site
FREE! SUBSCRIBE TODAY and receive
Jim Rohn’s Free Weekly E-zine featuring Current Articles, Interviews, Motivational Quotes & Vitamins for the Mind available ONLY to you as a Subscriber!
DOWNLOAD & LISTEN TO THE BEST SUCCESS CLASSICS
The self help contents are solely the opinion of the self help author and should not be considered as a form of therapy, advice, direction and/or diagnosis or treatment of any kind: medical, spiritual, mental or other. If expert advice or counselling is needed, services of a competent professional should be sought. The self help author and the self help Publisher assume no responsibility or liability and specifically disclaim any warranty, express or implied for any self help or otherwise products or self help or otherwise services mentioned, or any self help or otherwise techniques or practices described. The purchaser or reader of this self help publication assumes responsibility for the use of these self help materials and self help articles and information. Neither the self help author nor the self help Publisher assumes any responsibility or liability whatsoever on the behalf of any purchaser or reader of these self help materials.
|Back to Back Issues Page|